treatment

How can we as providers help clients choose the right treatment

Read the current US Department of Health and Human Services Guidelines (www.aidsinfo.nih.gov). Also, go to conferences. There are several in the US geared toward the non-HIV specialist who wants to learn more about HIV (Clinical Care Options is one).

With this knowledge you can inform your patients about the current data; presenting options along with your advice. I do not leave the decision up to the patient. Rather, I see myslef as a health care advisor - providing my take on what the patient should do to acheive his/her goals.

As you know, HIV therapy has to be tailored to the needs and abilities of the individual. Pill count, dosing frequency, potential side effects, co-morbidities all have to be considered as does cost, co-pays and what HIV meds a partner may be taking. Our job is to make the best fit possible and adjust as needed.

When to begin treatment
Risk of having kids while being HIV +