Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+ Vs Chronic illness wrong diagnosis
Oct 18, 2006

I have a chronic disease of the bone for over 10years and was diagnosized HIV+ in the past 5 years. I was a virgin and of low risk before my HIV test. I strongly still believe that my chronic disease might be interfering with the HIV test. The antibodies that my test (Western Blot) detected are very likely to be my chronic disease antibodies.

A good prove is that I have remained no progressive since my test for over 5 year The viral load is still the same up till now I am very healthy and the doctor says I have good antibodies I dont have any symptoms and have never been sick besides the chronic bone problem that occur once in a while.

Is there are more conventional testing I could go for HIV testing besides the obvious ones that detects the antibodies?

The antibodies detector (Western blot ) I was administered during the test might be seeing the antibodies of these chronic illness and complications.

Is there a more conventional testing methodology to prove that I am indeed HIV+ besides the ones that detect antibodies to HIV? Please recommend one.

Response from Dr. Wohl

The tests you mention look for antibodies that your body makes to HIV. Another test would be one that looks for the actual virus itself. The ultrasensitive HIV RNA PCR (also called viral load test) should be done. If this detects the presence of HIV RNA, that in combination with your positive antibody tests would indicate you are infected with HIV.

Were the ultrasensitive HIV viral load test was not able to detect HIV, then I would take very seriously your assertion that you are not infected.

DW

Previous
Responsiveness of CD4 Cells
Next
When to begin treatment

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.