Terminal Illness?

Dr. Young, My Doc believes that HIV can be controlled and that I will live a normal life span. I know lots of factors come into play but I just read that HIV is a terminal Illness. Do you believe that HIV that is controlled is a terminal illness? Can someone who is controlled live a normal life span? Sorry to sound so silly, but this really shock me up. Thank you.

Thanks for your post.

HIV is a terminal illness if one doesn't have access to healthcare (including antiretroviral therapy) or cannot adhere to a well chosen drug regimen. The sad fact is that these are the conditions for tens of millions of people in many parts of the world. The good news is that most people living in our country (US) do have access to these essential healthcare elements.

Assuming that you do have access to medications, etc, there's no reason to think that a long lifespan is possible.

Best, BY

Liver toxicity
AIDS still occurring at very high levels?