antibiotic resistance?

Hi Dr Young,

My CD4 count recently dropped to 184, so my doctor started me on bactrim as PCP prophylaxis. I've heard about antibiotic resistance, when they stop working. Is this likely to happen? Is there any way to avoid it?

Thank you for this service. It is truly wonderful.

Thanks for your post and comments.

Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim, Septra, Cotrimoxazole) is the first-line preventative medication for Pneumocystic pneumonia ("PCP"). Fortunately, there's little resistance to TMP/SMX.

A different point, though raised by your CD4 count is the need to start on HIV medications as soon as possible, since your risk of developing PCP and other AIDS-related complications will increase as your counts decline.

Best of health to you. BY

Just started Meds
Atripla and Cholesteral