Itchy and Scratchy??

I've been HIV for about 1 year and a half. Approximately 6 months ago I started the Sustiva/Truvada combo. So far the effects have been minimal and on my last Dr's visit I was undetectable.

Recently I've been feeling very itchy through out my body and face making me very uncomfortable and self conscious. Is that a result of my meds or of the HIV??

I hate rashes. They can be caused by different things yet look the same. Appointments with dermatologist are difficult to get (unless you have cash). And, I have a tendency to start itching whenever someone else is itchy (like when you yawn sympathetically when others yawn).

The good news is that many rashes go away by themselves and that an initial stab at treatment with an antifungal cream and/or topical steroid works in most cases.

Of course, without seeing your rash and knowing more about your history, it is impossible to tell you what your rash is due to. At this stage, it is unlikely to be your HIV meds, but it is not impossible. People with low CD4 counts can get an itchy-bumpy rash that responds to steroid creams. Jock itch like rashes (flaky and dry) can cause rashes on the face and typically itch. Go to your doc and let her/him take a look. If they are like me, they will probably make sure you don't have syphilis and give you an antifungal cream.

DID I MAKE A MISTAKE?
Just started Meds