Undetectable VL

Hi, i have an undetectable VL and a CD4 count of 584 and its been close to that for the last 12mths that ive been poz. im on Efavirenz and Truvada... My doc recommended i go on treatment as soon as I became poz. They got me when i was sero converting and my VL was 600,000

I want to know now if I come of my meds because im undetectable, what will happen? I dont like the Efaverenz

Thanks for your post.

Sounds like you had a nice virologic response to treatment. While there's debate on this topic, the pendulum appears to be swinging in favor of treatment during acute seroconversion. Indeed, a recent presentation of a large cohort of acute seroconverters by Dr. Little (UC San Diego, ICAAC meeting 2006) suggests that there is a significant virologic benefit to early treatment.

As for your current situation, stopping your meds will undoubtedly result in the return of HIV (though perhaps to levels ~0.5 log lower than you might have otherwise had). There is some uncertainty as to the frequency of having new HIV side effects or complications at this time, though I generally think that this risk is low.

If your unhappy with the efavirenz (Sustiva, Stocrin, part of Atripla), you should definitely talk to your treater- there are very reasonable alternative medications. Should you decide to stop your medications, definitely talk this and any future monitoring plans with your healthcare provider.

I hope this helps. BY

jaundice as reyetaz side-effect
New Blood transfusion being released?