confusing answers

concerning answers related to abs lymphocytes, I have read three vary different answrs to basically the same question. one person wrote in and asked what his cd4 count was with an abs of 2100 and was told a rough measurement was cutting that in half or 1000. another wrote and asked you if having a abs count of 1860 would probably put him in normal range of at least 500 and you said yes. now this latest question you say having 1700 abs only puts you at 350 cd4. very confusing and different answers.

Sorry about your confusion.

The confusion simply illustrates just how inaccurate using ALC is as a metric of absolute CD4 cell counts.

My comment was perhaps misread (or miswritten)-- an ALC of 1700 indicates that the CD4 count is GREATER than 350.

Try not to get to embroiled with the details (if you can), but at least understand that there's not a lot of precision behind these statements-- precisely why I don't recommend (nor does my good friends at Doctors Without Borders) recommend using ALC. BY

absolute lymphocytes
serostim vs. megestrol