What to do " confused "

I found out in June I was HIV positive. I am mentally ok and my partner is very suportive. I meet with a HIV support person at the gay clinic, I was told that they dont want you to be on meds for the 1st year unless you are below or near 200 T-cells, mine are 319, I meet with the Dr and they agreed, I went for a follow up and now they tell me they want me to go on meds soon since I am at the 200-350 range. I meet with a person to explain the meds and they said since I am feeling well and had no symtoms I have time to wait then I see the Dr again 2 days later before any other labs and they want me to go on the meds. I dont know what to do? I read on the internet so many things that confuse me and my partner. We are thinking about seeing a specialist instead of the clinic. I feel great but I always feel mentally drained after I leave the clinic. PS my VL was around 135000, any advise would be great

Thanks for your post.

I'm not sure who you spoke to at the "gay clinic", but their advice isn't the most sage, in my opinion.

While it's not an emergency to start medications, you do have a high viral load (alone, a possible indication to start) and a CD4 count that is below the 350 cell threshold recommended for consideration of treatment in the US Department of Health and Human Services and International AIDS Society-USA treatment guidelines.

If I were in your situation, I'd weigh the pros and cons of starting with your ability to adhere to a medication regimen. If there were no compelling reasons why you couldn't start, I'd strongly consider starting HIV medications.

I hope this helps. BY

Aptima HIV-1 RNA
PCR inhibitors