Your Opinion - CD4 & VL and Med Choices

After severe bruising and a CBC which indicated platelet counts as low as 12K, I was referred to a hematologist. I was finally diagnosed on January 11th with VL of 20K and CD4 of 170 (11%), Platelets were 50K.

We did a huge series of labs and I was negative for everything else under the sun (Hep A/B/C, TB, etc.) except Toxoplasmosis which I probably had previously contracted as a child.

After two weeks of therapy, we had a set of labs drawn which resulted in a VL of 260 and a CD4 of 156 (12%). Platelets were still 50K.

At 12 weeks, my VL is undectable with a CD4 of 170 (12%). My platelets are now 174K.

I am on twice daily Combivir, once daily Sustiva, and was on Pentamadine for PCP Prophylaxis (the hematologist was concerned about the Sulfa drugs with my platelets low). We've switched over to the Tri/Sulfa drug for PCP as of today.

Would you be satisfied with these results or would you have any recommendations, expecially in the realm of increasing the CD4 count?

I suggested a switch from Combivir to Truvada because I had read removing the AZT could boost CD4 counts, but was asked to hold off three more months before we considered that. Today I also received the first in the Hep A/B series of Vaccinations.

There is no rush to switch over to Truvada as long as you are not having any side effects from the Combivir. But down the road it makes sense to switch to one tablet daily of Atripla (Truvada and Sustiva) in order to simplify things and hopefully speed up CD4+ lymphocyte count recovery. Thanks for posting and best of luck!

Kaletra dosage correct for my son?
just went off meds due to fatigue side effect