Kaletra dosage correct for my son?

My son was recently put on Kaletra in addition to Sustiva and lamivudine. He was started on 3 capsules (400mg lopinavir/ 100mg rotonavir)two times a day. My little boy is 33kg and the label gives 3 capsules as the recommended dosage for an adult. Please tell me I am worrying over nothing because the worry is killing me. Please respond, even in just one sentence. truly, worried mum.

The pediatric dose of Kaletra is 10mg/kg twice daily which would work out to 330mg, which is slightly lower than the dose you son is receiving. However, there is a drug interaction with Sustiva which lowers the blood levels of Kaletra. So when they are used together the Kaletra dose is often increased a bit in order to compensate. This was probably the rationale behind the selection of this dose of Kaletra for you son.

Hopefully you son is doing well on this regimen, by now you should know how he is tolerating it and whether it is working. Best of luck to both of you!

Going off meds follow up comment
Your Opinion - CD4 & VL and Med Choices