OI MEDS!

started meds in may 2004 tcells 12 vl 40000 been undetectable since and tcells now 156 was wondering at what point can I start cutting back on some of my oi meds taking valcyte bactrium tricor diflucan zithromax thank you for all you guys do and May God bless us all

Thank you for your post.

It sounds like your doctor had started you on a very complete list of preventative medications. For purposes of this discussion, I'll assume that you didn't have any of the AIDS indicator illnesses, since stopping medications following severe illness may depend on a variety of individual circumstances.

If your CD4 count has been confirmed above 100 cells, it would be ok to discontinue preventive therapy for cytomegalovirus (CMV) and M. avium complex (MAC)-- therefore, you could talk to your doctor about stopping the valgancyclovir (Valcyte) and azithromycin (Zithromax).

As for the fluconazole (Diflucan), stopping depends on why you were started- if it was only for thrush, then stopping this would be ok at this point.

Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim, Septra, Cotrimoxazole, Biseptal) treatment to prevent Pneumocystis pneumonia can be stopped when CD4 counts exceed 200 cells.

Your fenofibrate (Tricor) is used to treat elevations in triglycerides; stopping wouldn't be dependent on your CD4 count, but your blood triglyceride levels.

I hope this helps. Best of health to you. BY

Correct Rx?
Any good treatment in Indonesia?