Right Meds?

I just got back from the doc with my first prescription ever. Truvada/lexiva/norvir. I am co-infected with hep c and my wife and i are going to try and have a baby soon ve sperm washing. With all that to consider, is This combo a good one to start on?

It is reasonable. Truvada is a combination of two different medications, tenofovir and emtricitabine. Theses drugs, when combined with other medication, have been found to potently suppress the amount of virus in the blood while being well tolerated.

Lexiva (fos-amprenavir) is a protease inhibitor that is typically 'boosted' with Norvir (ritonavir). Norvir inhibits the clearance of other medications in the liver leading to high levels of the other drug. In the case of protease inhibitors, Norvir can help cut down on the amount of pills and dosing frequency. Lexiva has been studied in different types of patients and the data indicate it is just as potent as any other protease inhibitor used as initial therapy for HIV. It is not yet included in the US Department of Human Services Guidelines for first line therapy fo HIV, but many suspect it will be added soon. Another organization, the International AIDS Society-USA, does list Lexiva/Norvir as a first line protease inhibitor option.

I would expect this combo to reduce your viral load to very low levels. It should be well tolerated. If a regimen works for you without major side effects, it is a winner. There is no reason to expect more trouble given your Hep C and I know of no information that would make me think this regimen would pose any problem with you plans to pro-create.

undectable
U.S. propsed manditiory testing