med restart

I have an HIV positive friend who had been on Stocrin and Combivir until nine months ago, but stopped then. Now that she is considering to restart the meds, what regimen is best for her.

Thanks for your post.

The key issue for your friend is the conditions under which she stopped her regimen-- if the viral load was undetectable, this suggests that there wasn't significant drug resistance.

If this is the case, then resuming AZT/3TC (Combivir) and efavirenz (Stocrin, Sustiva) would be reasonable. That said, any time I initiate treatment in a patient, I'd recommend close clinical and laboratory monitoring, in order to make sure that things go according to plans.

Last, remember that efavirenz should be used with caution among women who might become pregnant, because of risk of birth defects in the child.

Best of health to you and your friend. BY

decision about meds now that Fortovase is not available
need help a.s.a.p.