Can I switch to tenofovir from Kaletra?

I take Kaletra and Combid (Thai version of Comivir?) I live in Asia and buy my meds in Thailand.

Tenofovir is going to be sold in Thailand for, well, cheap! I pay a lot for the Kaletra ($375 a month; better than in U.S. but still - - BTW, its the old capsule type.)

Could I switch to the tenofovir?

Assuming you are on your first HIV regimen, your virus level is very low now and was not very high (>100,000) before you started meds and your CD4 cell count is high - you MAY be able to get away with the switch.

At issue is that tenofovir is a drug that works in a way that is not that different than the drugs in Combivir. Kaletra works via another mechanism. So you would be on three relatively similar medications that I suspect will work fairly well but likely not as well as your current regimen. Data from other studies of three drugs from this class showed responses that were not as good as a regimen that also included efavirenz.

It is a tough situation. If you must change, you have no choice. But, if you can afford to stay on your current meds, I would.

Is it ok?
My CD4 count