Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Long Seroconversion symptoms
Sep 19, 2006

I have recently tested positive from an exposure about 6 weeks ago. About 4 weeks ago my glands became very swollen very quickly and they don't seem to be letting up. They are so swollen they make me feel as though I need to gag and the glands under my arms and around my groin burn a lot of the time. How long can I expect this to last? My neck is also very stiff and it is uncomfortable to sit upright for too long as the lymph fluid backs up and makes the pain around my head/neck worse. I haven't recieved my first viral load or CD4 count yet. Is it wise to treat this sort of symptomatic seroconversion regardless of the numbers? Or should I wait out the symptoms if the numbers are good? I'm not sure how much longer I can bare these symptoms.

Response from Dr. Wohl

The symptoms of acute HIV infection can last weeks. Treatment is not exactly considered standard fo care but many of us are convinced enough of the potential benefits to recommend treatment for most with early HIV infection. This early treatment is not dictated by viral load or CD4 count. The idea is to treat the virus early before it does lasting damage to the immune system.

Treating your HIV will reduce the amount of virus in your system - virus that your body is combating on the battlefield that is your lymph glands.

Given what you write, I would start HIV therapy yesterday.

DW

Previous
Very low CD4 and questions
Next
Is it ok?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.