Very low CD4 and questions

Dear Dr. Young,

I am treatment naive. After one month on meds (Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada) I got my result back last week.

Before Meds: CD4 -- 5 Viral Load -- 195,000

One month after meds: CD4 -- 24 Viral Load -- <400 (400 level sensitive test and undetectable)

I have following questions: 1: My health is generally OK except skin problems (Itch, rash, easy infections but not KS, I will see dermatologist soon.). I am still working full time. As your experience how come I still feel ok generally and have energy to work with CD4 count 5. 2: With such low CD4 it is possible that any severe OI is in latent status in my body. And I may experience big problem of Immune Reconstitution Syndrome in the future after HARRT. I test CMV+ in my body and the ophthalmologist checked my eyes one month ago and said there is not any infection in my eyes. 3: As your experience with patients starting HARRT with very low CD4, do I have a big chance to get recovery and live a long life? I means how many percentage of patients in your clinic with very low CD4 (<50) had gotten recovery finally?

Thanks for your time.

Jason

Jason,

Thanks for your post.

It's certainly been my experince that patients with very low CD4 counts (especially those without AIDS complications), can and do go on to live healthy, productive lives. I have a whole lot of such persons in my practice.

While you do have some potential risk of having an immune reconstitution reaction, knowing that you don't have evidence of CMV in your eyes, is of course, reassuring. Rather than trying to predict your specific risk, I'd rather advise that should you become ill in any particular way-- not to wait, but rather bring this to your doctor's attention.

Best of luck, BY

Other viruses and CD4 count
Long Seroconversion symptoms