Other viruses and CD4 count

Hi. Just wondering if the current reccomendation to initiate HAART takes into account other viruses that the patient might have. For instance I carry CMV and EBV. Should I let my CD4 count get to 350 or would u suggest a higher CD4 count before starting meds?

Thanks for your post.

In general, yes, the recommendation to consider starting HIV treatment is independent of other viral infections, including CMV and EBV. There are some doctors who recommend that patients with hepatitis C and HIV coinfection consider HIV treatment with higher CD4 counts.

Assuming that you're otherwise asymptomatic, I'd probably not recommend initiation of treatment until your counts were in the 350 range. I'd also recommend that you spend some time discussing the optimal time to start HAART with your doctor.

Best of health, BY

resistant or not
Very low CD4 and questions