FAST PROGRESSOR? follow up

Hi Dr. Ben

Once again thank you for all the support. I'm following up on the question below. Question: 3 Months later, my labs are VL 1,100; CD4 Count 680 and 35%. I'm very happy with this. I don't take any meds. What shold I make of this numbers? From your experience, what does it tell you? Please compare the number as stated below. Anything you could shoot a light regarding this great positive change, I would appreciate. Thank you !

FAST PROGRESSOR? Jul 5, 2006

Dear Doc.

I have been infected for only 3 months. My VL is at 13,000. Is that too high for only 3 months of infection? Is this an early indication that i am a fast progressor? My cd4 is at 575. At this rate, how long it will be until I start on meds? Thank you!

Thanks for your post.

Your viral load is actually on the low side of average (typically ~50,000). Based on this, I wouldn't predict that you'll be a rapid progressor.

Nevertheless, HIV+'s with even low viral loads can and do have CD4 count declines-- your CD4 is well within the normal range currently. I wouldn't expect that you'd need to start on medications for quite a while, probably several years.

Hope this helps. BY

Thansk for your follow up.

Your recent labs confirm that you have a quite low viral load; your CD4 count and percentage remain in the normal range-- I'd conclude that you're stable and have healthy numbers. BY

Viral Load confusion
resistant or not