Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Viral Load confusion
Sep 17, 2006

Latest CD4 of 233 and CD4% of 19 and Viral Load of 21,000. My past labs were CD4 287, 315, 219 CD4% 24, 27, 21 ViralLoad 10,000 15,000 58,000 My Dr. says my Viral load should be around 100,000 with a CD4 count of 233 is that correct? Hey says maybe my immune system is able to control the virus since the viral load is not as high is that a possibility? I'm not on meds. Thank You.

Response from Dr. Young

You're doctor's wrong.

There's no reason to link your CD4 count to a particular viral load. Having a lower viral load simply means that your rate of CD4 decline might be slower than average.

That said, having a lower CD4 count doesn't mean that you will have a higher viral load, nor does having a lower viral load mean that you won't have low CD4 counts.

If you were my patient, with confirmed CD4 counts well below 300, I'd be considering medications for HIV in order to prevent having an AIDS complication. BY

Previous
Thank You
Next
FAST PROGRESSOR? follow up

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.