update from stubborn numbers

Hi Dr Young

You very kindly helped me and my doctor last month when we had a difficult treatment decision to make after developing high levels of resistance/cross resistance to all PIs and almost all NRTIs. Thank you so much.

I've now been on my new regimen (sustiva+fuzeon+tenofovir) for nearly a month. Although my numbers have turned around (now 162 (11%), 290,000 from 152 (9%), 320,000) they dont seem to have changed much. I thought there had to be a 3-fold change in viral load for it to be significant? So shoud I be excited about is this slight shift? My doctor says to stick with them for a while, see what happens. Do you agree?

Thank you so much for all your help. You really made me feel like person, not a test tube all your patients are very lucky!

Sally (stubborn numbers)

Dear Sally stubborn-

Thanks for your kind words and follow up.

Unfortunately, I'm not very excitied (or enthusiastic) about your numbers- the trend in CD4 is ok, but the viral load really hasn't changed in any substantial way. Because of this, I'm very concerned about the lack of viral response and potential for the emergence of T20 (Fuzeon) resistance.

Given your relative lack of other options (if I remember correctly), if your tolerating your current regimen, one approach would be to stick with it, understanding the potential for T20 resistance. An alternative approach woudl be to continue on the efavirenz (Sustiva) with tenofovir (Viread) and perhaps 3TC or FTC as a holding regimen, saving T20 for a later round.

I hope this helps, best of health to you. BY

should I start treatment ?
Please Help!!