should I start treatment ?

At first, I d like to tell you my admiration with your so comprehensive forum, I'd like the same in France. I was infected 12yrs ago, still asymptomatic, naive patient.My doctor has advised me not to take any medication for 3 years now, until recently when he changes his mind without giving me any explanation(he just told me "its a combination of things"....). I still trust him but cannot understand this change from him, as he kept telling me my results were good, even very good. During the past 2 years, my CD4 evolved from around 500 to around 400, but fell from 15-16% to 13-14%, which is relatively low. My viral load moved from 9000 to 41000 copies. I enroled 2 yrs ago in a protocol to test the efficiency of Interleukin 2 in postponing HAART for naive patients like me, the study is finishing, and my doctor told me it was time to consider to start treatment by the end of the year. Is he right, giving my relatively stable results ? and why is he so unable to tell me why ?

Thanks for your post.

I'm in agreement with your doctor. With stable, though low CD4 percentages below 15%, you actually meet criteria for AIDS.

I'd be in favor of starting a well tolerated treatment sooner, rather than waiting for an AIDS complication to ruin your health first. As for why your doctor has difficulty in telling you this or other things, you'll have to ask him.

Best wishes. BY

Long term prognosis - second opinion
update from stubborn numbers