Will ART help fat loss?

I am a 45 years old and have been HIV+ for perhaps 2 years or so. My general health has been fine, and my recent labs show good numbers -- viral load varying between undetectable and up to 400 copies, CD4 count between 570 and 750. I am not on meds and have never been. Recently I have begun to experience fat loss in my face, arms, legs, and buttocks. My doctor had my body fat tested, and it's around 11%, which is low. I understand that untreated HIV infection can cause fat loss on its own, but that it is unusual in someone in my condition.

My question is, would starting antiretroviral therapy help with fat loss? Assuming, of course, that my doctor prescribed a combo that isn't known to cause lipodystrophy? I would rather nip this in the bud if possible, because I understand that this sort of fat loss can be hard to reverse and can lead to serious health problems.

Your advice is appreciated.

Hello, and thanks for posting.

It is unusual for HIV to cause fat loss in the absence of low CD4+ lymphocyte counts and wasting related to immune suppression or opportunistic infections. There is, however, an age-related loss of skin and soft tissue elasticity and suppleness (alas) that comes with aging and I wonder is this might be what is happening in your situation. Also, have you lost any weight recently? Even a modest amount of overall weight loss (from dieting for example) can result in peripheral fat loss that translates into visible changes.

It seems doubtful that antiretroviral therapy would help with the fat loss that you describe, but it would be impossible to entirely rule out the possibility that HAART might improve your condition. Certainly, the newer regimens which avoid Zerit and AZT are much less likely to cause lipoatrophy.

Best of luck to you!

My allergy to penicillin and TCM 114 .
Long term prognosis - second opinion