Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV positive sister
Sep 13, 2006

Hi, My sister's husband in Kenya died of aids related complications in 2004. My sister is still in denial and has not had the test herself. Please advise on the best drugs for her to start with so as to prolong her life, then I can advise her accordingly. I saw the husband's test results accidentally when I went through his medical records. As such, I have not discussed this with her as at first I didnt know how to plus I was/still am not empowered enough to offer her solutions to prolonging her life. I work in the Carribean and efforts to get the info on the Kenyan aids facilities online have been in vain. Please advise.

Thanks

Response from Dr. Wohl

I am not sure what to write. Your sister needs to know that her husband died of AIDS. She can then decide to get tested and hopefully will.

Rather than recommend a regimen, I think it will be more helpful to help her understand that medicines available in Kenya can help her not share her husband's fate - they can keep her healthy and prolong her life. More and more, better HIV therapies are reaching Africa, including Kenya. There is hope. Sticking her head in the sand will not save her.

These are the words, which along with your support, may be of the most value to her.

DW

Previous
Mega HAART combination?
Next
Must restart therapy what regimen?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.