Heavy dreams on stocrin

My 62yr old mom had anemia & lactic acidosis with regimens that included combivir/lamivudine/3TC.She is presently on Kaletra + stocrin.This regimen has kept the viral load<50 for a yr.She is happy with the combination except the heavy nightmares she has with stocrin.She is reluctant to change her meds in fear of possible drug failure & thinks her drug reactns are age related.Would it be helpful to reduce EFV dose or take an antipsychotic to reduce the side effects? does age have anything to do with side effects? Would she benefit from a Drug resistance test.

The side effects of Stocrin (Sustiva) can be aggrevated by taking the drug with food as this increases the absorbsion of the drug and thus the blood levels. So make certain your mom takes the med at least 2 hours after eating anything. Another thing to try is to take the medication earlier in the day. Some people are even to take Stocrin in the morning.

If these does not work I would not reduce the dose as that will only invite resistance. (A resistance test now would not help this situation and is not be possible as the virus level is so low that there is insufficient virus to collect to test.)

If all else fails, the Stocrin may have to be replaced. One possibility would be to trade this med for Viread (Tenofovir), a drug not associated with lactic acidosis. Alternatively, if her CD4 cell count is below 250, she could change to Viramune (nevirapine). Lastly, in the not too distant future a new drug called TMC125 will become available - it works much like Sustiva but without the bad dreams.

Am I just worring for nothing?
deeply concerned