The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Husband HIV+ Wife - husband died of overdose
Sep 12, 2006

Dear Dr.'s, My husband died about 1-1/2 ago due to drug overdose. I was married for about 6 1/2 years He was hiv + and I am negative. He was extremely depressed for many years because he was dealing with hiv & hep c. I loved him very much and tried with all my heart to help him. We stopped having sex about 2 years prior to his death because he was high most of the time. During the time we were having sex we did not use condoms often but he used withdrawal and during oral sex I would not always spit the semen out but swallow it. I have been getting tested for the past 6 yrs. for both hiv & hep c and have tested non-reactive/neg. My last test was Aug. of 2005 & it was neg. My latest hep c test was June 2006 and that was neg. My question is do I still need to be tested for both hiv & hep c after six years of testing neg? I want to go on with my life and I am concerned about having a relationship because of all this. And do you think it is necessary to tell a man I may get seriously involved with about my husband's hiv status since I have been neg for all these years? Thank You for Your Caring Website. God Bless You

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post-

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your husband; given the amount of testing and time since your last sexual encounter with him, there's little need to be concerned at this point about HIV or HCV.

It's ok to go on and live life. BY

Am I just worring for nothing?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint