Viramune or Sustiva ??

Doc I was on crixivan+combivir but due to food restrictions I switched to viramune+ combivir. Everyone tells me that Sustiva is more potent than viramune. Also Viramune is more toxin to the liver etc. I am also diebetic taking 3 other meds and I am worrying that I am putting too much pressure on my liver. Liver fuctions are within normal limits doc says. I am having undetectable vl with present combo. Should I switch to Sustiva? thanks

Response from Dr. Boyle

I agree with your thoughts and concerns regarding Viramune, however, at this point it sounds like you have been on it for a while, you're tolerating it well, your liver function and enzyme tests are normal, and your viral load is <50 copies/mL. Therefore, I would probably leave you on it and carefully monitor you for symptoms or liver function/enzyme abnormalities, and if they developed I would change you to Sustiva. BB

Minimum level of CD4 for Anti-viral Treatment Start
sti and resistance