PCP Pnumonia

Hello Dr

I want to thank you ahead for your kind suggestions on this web site. I was diagnosed with HIV 4 weeks back. My Test results just came back. T cells 57 and viral load is 70000. My doctor did not started my medication yet. I have been experiencing fever symptoms quite often so that it was PCP pnumonia. I consulted my Primary care doctor and he prescribe Bactrim thrice a day and two capsules every time. It caused me severe side affects. I had rashes all over my body and i was extreamly dehydrated and fever still comes once in a while. So I stopped taking bactrim as it seem to be a overkill. Can you plz suggest me what should be my next step

Thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear about your new diagnosis.

I am concerned about this trend that I see here (as evidenced by your case)-- patients stopping their medications without contacting their doctors--

If you really do have Pneumocystis pneumonia, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMX, Bactrim, Septra, Cotrimoxazole) is a life-saving medication. If you're having side effects (from this or any other medication), the first thing you should do is to contact your doctor. In our clinic, this is a simple as a phone call (7/24) or email. There should be no reason to have to shoulder the responsibility of deciding about the management of your medication on you own, especially when it's as important as treatment for a very serious AIDS complication. TMP/SMX isn't overkill for PCP, it's the drug of choice.

Now, with severe rash, it's quite possible that you've developed an allergic reaction to the medication. There are a number of alternatives; the thing to do is to discuss your symptoms with your doctor and plan out the next steps.

Write back if this doesn't answer your questions, best of luck. BY

Drug Regimen
vl