Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

2nd. Labs what do they mean?
Sep 8, 2006

Hi Dr. My first labs on April 5th. were CD-4 =282 CD4% =25 Virat Load 10,288

My 2nd. set of labs on May 11th. CD-4 = 315 CD4% = 28 Viral Load 15,877 I'm not on meds currently. My question is since this is an upward trend in both CD-4 count and % should I wait 3 months to have another set of #'s done to see if the upward trend continues? Is my viral load considered low and is it normal for the viral load to increase yet the CD4 count and CD4 % to also go up? I would have thought if the viral load goes up the CD-4 goes down. Also I hear people say if your CD4 % is a certain # then that should equate to a given CD4 count. So what should my CD-4 count be with a CD4 percentage of 28 and is it possible to get it to that level without meds? Thank you very much.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting.

There is so much variation in CD4+ lymphocyte cell count and viral load readings that it is next to impossible to infer meaningful differences between two readings. Trends in these numbers can only be discerned from multiple measurements over a longer time frame. All one can say about these two readings is that they are fairly consistent.

The typical progression of untreated HIV infection is one of a gradual decline in CD4+ lymphocyte cell count/ratio and an increase in viral load. There is an association between the absolute CD4+ count and the CD4+ with an absolute count of 200 similar to a ratio of 15%. In your situation, the ratio is a better than expected based on the absolute CD4 number. Aside from HIV medications (and quite toxic IL2) there is no proven way to increase CD4+ lymphocyte cell counts.

So once you have some more readings you should have a better sense of where you stand. But based on the two CD4+ lymphocyte cell counts below 350 it is likely that your clinician may recommend starting HAART. Best of luck to you!

Previous
False positive and Trizivir
Next
Elevated CD8's following STI

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.