Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Tremor - please reply - very scared!
Sep 6, 2006

Dear Drs,

I've been positive for two years (I'm a 22yo male, CD4 300, VL 124,000 at last test but that was after vaccinations and a tummy bug; normally it's around 50,000).

I am writing to ask you about a very worrying symptom I've started to display during the past few weeks.

My right index finger has begun to tremble uncontrollably whenever I hold it up above my lap or the desk I'm writing at or whatever. I think this is called a postural tremor, although it is less pronounced in my hands as a whole than in this one finger. There is no resting tremor, which helps convince me this isn't Parkinson's, which had been my worry, and there's no intention tremor either. I don't have any loss of movement - typing this, for example, is fine. It lessens significantly, but doesn't vanish, after alcohol.

Sometimes, while walking in the street, I feel the same finger pressing against the middle finger of the same hand, not especially uncomfortably, just distractingly and quite alarmingly. I also have an occasional feeling that my left leg has gone 'dead', and I find myself having to move it to reassure myself that I still can!

Please, I would REALLY appreciate any thoughts / comments / advice you might have on this, as it's driving me crazy with worry. Could it be the beginnings of some kind of neurological disease? Is it likely to be directly HIV related? Is there anything I can do about it to make it go away?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Sam

Response from Dr. Young

hi Sam,

Thanks for your post.

From what I can learn from your report, it does sound like you're having new symptoms. What the cause is is very difficult to ascertain from your description.

The best advice that I could give you is to discuss your symptoms with your doctor; perhaps a neurology consultation or imaging study of your brain or neck may be in order.

I hope this is a reasonable start. Let us know how things develop.

Best, BY

Previous
Sustiva/Truvada Side Effect
Next
sustiva's test results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.