Late Sero-Conversion?

If you were in my situation, what would you do? Below is my story:

Early in 2006 I had a possibly very dangerous sexual encounter. This was the first time I was a bottom for anal sex and I did not realize until well into the session that the person was not using a condom (assumed this was the only way to go/alcohol was involved, stupid mistake to be sure).

Anyway, needless to say I was on edge. Two weeks later I got a feverish feeling (but no measureable fever), swollen glands, etc. Did not feel well starting then, and still really don't 5 months later. Got a flu-like illness about 2.5 months after the encounter that lasted for a week.

I have been very worried about HIV as you can imagine. Have tested for HIV multiple times with antibody tests (primarily Elisas out to 20 weeks/5 months) all of which were negative, some of them tested for HIV-2 also. Have also had two PCR proviral DNA tests at 12 and 18 weeks which were negative.

The problem is that I still get swollen glands under my arms till this day and I feel anemic and tired. I was tested as having an active EBV infection 7 weeks after the encounter. I know EBV is also called glandular fever, so maybe my symptoms are from EBV (I hope).

I am not looking for reassurance that I have not contracted HIV because I know there is a distinct possibility of that. What I need to know is, is there anything I can do now to eliminate HIV as an issue? Also, should I try some other test to be sure? I am really concerned about late sero-conversion and its effects on my longterm survival if that is the case.

Thanks in advance for any advice you are willing to give,

Regards

Ron

Hello Ron,

"Multiple" negative ELISAs for HIV-1 and HIV-2 out to 20 weeks plus two negative PCR proviral DNA tests out to 18 weeks does "eliminate HIV as an issue!" In fact, they annihilate that possibility completely. I see absolutely no reason for ongoing worry about HIV infection or late seroconversion, based on your exposure history and extensive HIV testing.

You've learned an important lesson from this indiscretion and it's one I doubt you'll ever forget.

Yes, your EBV could account for your residual symptoms. One thing that's for certain: your symptoms are not related to HIV. No way. No how. OK?

Stay safe. Stay well, Ron.

starting meds earlier
Recently tested HIV+