I have bruising and painful swollen nodes is it time to start HAART?

Dr: I am suffering bruises and swollen nodes since infection. My cd4 is 450 and viral load is 80,000. Should I start Haart? My doctor is mute on the issue. Harold.

Thanks for your post.

First off, while most people focus on a certain lab value (CD4 count) as the measure of when to start treatment, it's very important to bear in mind that symptoms are the first and foremost decider; especially among those persons with CD4 counts that are higher than 350 (like you).

If you're having significant bruising and lymphadenopathy that's troubling (painful, for example), AND you're willing and able to be adherent to a treatment regimen, I'd consider starting on medications.

I hope this is helpful. BY

HIV Treatment
Lamisil