Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HAART broken
Aug 31, 2006

How effective is "highly active antiretroviral therapy" (HAART) in fighting possible HIV exposure due to broken condom? There seems to be very little info on the effectiveness of HAART in this situation. So, does it work? If my partner's condom breaks and I'm exposed to pre-cum or cum, what are chances HAART will work in blocking HIV infection? Thanks for considering my question.

Response from Dr. Wohl

There are reasons to believe that administration of HIV meds will work following sexual exposure to prevent transmission. Studies done in other primates are supportive, although it seems like the meds need to be started as soon after the expsoure as possible. We do not know how effective post-sexual expsoure prophylaxis (PsEP) is, however.

A problem is that it is really difficult to study this as the risk of transmission varies and it would be hard to assign participants to not receive PsEP given what we know about the use of HIV meds after occupational exposure to HIV.

So, yes it can work. How well remains unknown and it should be taken ASAP after the expsoure (i.e. within hours).

DW

Previous
HIV pos child, 8 years
Next
Cost of Atripla

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.