Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV pos child, 8 years
Aug 30, 2006

what food do i give an HIV positive child who is 8 years and is currently on TB treatment. she has a cough and the doctors suspect resistant TB, they are currently doing tests. she is so frail and weighs abt 20kg and is not growing at all. what do you suggest, CD4 count was at 05 mid august 2006

Response from Dr. Young

Thank you for your post.

Wow, this is a very difficult and troubling case.

TB/HIV coinfection poses all sorts of hurdles, from immune reconstitution to drug interactions-- what's more, this is the leading complication in many parts of the world (including one part I know a little about, Ukraine

There really isn't any particular special diet or food that you should be administering to the child because of TB/HIV; rather the typical, high calorie, balanced diet that we'd recommend for all children. I'm concerned about the anorexia and wasting that you've described, TB treatment failure has to be on the list of possibilities.

You've not mentioned if she's yet on antiretrovirals, nor what body sites are involved with TB, but suffice to say that when possible (usually after 6-8 months of TB treatment), HAART for HIV should be initiated too.

Sorry not to have more concrete suggestions, but I hope this helps both you and the young child. BY

Previous
Thank you
Next
HAART broken

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.