HIV pos child, 8 years

what food do i give an HIV positive child who is 8 years and is currently on TB treatment. she has a cough and the doctors suspect resistant TB, they are currently doing tests. she is so frail and weighs abt 20kg and is not growing at all. what do you suggest, CD4 count was at 05 mid august 2006

Thank you for your post.

Wow, this is a very difficult and troubling case.

TB/HIV coinfection poses all sorts of hurdles, from immune reconstitution to drug interactions-- what's more, this is the leading complication in many parts of the world (including one part I know a little about, Ukraine

There really isn't any particular special diet or food that you should be administering to the child because of TB/HIV; rather the typical, high calorie, balanced diet that we'd recommend for all children. I'm concerned about the anorexia and wasting that you've described, TB treatment failure has to be on the list of possibilities.

You've not mentioned if she's yet on antiretrovirals, nor what body sites are involved with TB, but suffice to say that when possible (usually after 6-8 months of TB treatment), HAART for HIV should be initiated too.

Sorry not to have more concrete suggestions, but I hope this helps both you and the young child. BY

Thank you
HAART broken