stubborn numbers update

Hi Dr Young,

Thanks for your previous response. That link for resistance info input is great, if a little scary. Sobering was indeed the right word.

Sorry I wasnt clear previously. I have never been on an NNRTI-based regimen. Since option 1 (Tipranavir+ritonavir+Fuzeon+tenofovir) would be difficult to gain access to here (possible, but it would take time), my doctor has suggested we try option 2 (Sustiva+fuzeon+tenofovir). This is because I have been told that while Im not in danger as such, time is still a factor as my counts are not good, in fact are going the wrong way (now at 152 (9%) and 325,000) and so it really is important to try to stabilize them fast. As for clinical trials, there arent actually any here that would be suitable at the moment, and, like I said, apparently time is a slight factor.

I should be starting the new meds tomorrow thank you for all your help, and your caring attitude. It really is invaluable, and nice to feel like a person, not a test tube.

Grateful and less puzzled!

Thanks for your post, Stubborn numbers....

Given the difficulty (and probable delay) in getting tipranavir, I agree that option 2 makes the most sense right now. Close monitoring of the response to treatment (and resistance testing if things don't go as scripted) would be very important for future choices.

Fortunately, since there are a number of newer treatment options in the pipeline, even if this should not be a suppressive option, there should be others soon.

I hope this brief note is helpful.

Let us know how things work out. Best of luck, BY

Did I start meds to soon?
Is this as important a breakthrough as it sounds...?