Is it possible?

I am a pre-op transexual(male to female). I was going through hormone replacement therapy before I found out that I was HIV+. My doctors say that I have an excellent bill of health but they wanted to put me on medication early. (Truvada and Sustiva) I was wondering if was still possible for me to continue my hormone replacement therapy and are there doctors out there that will work with me?

Thanks for your post.

There's much more information we'd need to know before commenting on your hormonal therapy.

Overall, the general principles of HIV treatment are no different for you; the when, what and why to start HIV medications are well discussed on these pages.

The important issue will be that of the potential for drug-drug interactions between your hormonal therapies and HIV medications. This might lead to the avoidance of certain protease inhibitors and further imply that the use of efavirenz (Sustiva) or in the new triple combo (TDF/FTC/efavirenz-- Atripla) should be done with care.

I'm sure that there are doctors who'd be willing to work with your transgender doctors to find the right pathyway.

Stay in touch, let us know how things are progressing for you. BY

PML Support Group Link
Micronutrients and HAART