just found out HIV+ and pregnant

I just found out i am Hiv+ through routine pregnancy testing. They are re running the test. I would like to know the best treatment for myself and the baby. I know most of the meds arent safe for the baby. my boyfriend is being tested as well I really want to keep the baby and pray i can be treated so the baby wont contract the disease.

Thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

There's a lot to learn and do, if your test is reconfirmed. First, get in touch with an experienced HIV doctor. There you should be counseled about HIV, treatment options and adherence among other things. Be sure that your doctor orders a HIV drug resistance test before starting on treatment. Starting on treatment would depend on your CD4 count, symptoms and whether you're planning on having the baby.

If you decide to keep the child, know that medications for HIV can virtually eliminate the risk of transmission of HIV to the child.

Most doctors would defer treatment until your second trimester, in order to avoid increased risk of birth defects (actually awfully low, by current estimates). Assuming that you live in one of the wealthy countries of the world, your doctors will start a three drug regimen for HIV- usually one that includes AZT and a protease inhibitor. Efavirenz (Sustiva) and the combination of d4T and ddI (Videx) should be avoided because of risk of toxicity.

Best of luck. Let us know how things go from time to time, and as always, feel free to write me back anytime. BY

T-cell count and aids
Atripla