T-cell count and aids

My nepheu who is 30 is in the hospital in Coral Springs Fla. He just found out he has aids. His T-cell count is only 16 and virul is 1,000 He was in for PCP very bad but has now recovered. He is on meds and off the oxygen for now. I would like to know what the next stage is and what to expect in the near futur. I did not read any forum with such a low count. A very caring Aunt in Canada.

Dear Canadian Aunt-

Thanks for your post; I just returned from your great country the other day.

Sorry to hear about your nephew. Sounds like he's taken the first steps to improving his health. Since he's over the pneumonia (PCP) and started on treatment for HIV, I'd expect his health to improve in real terms.

Patients with very low CD4 counts actually have excellent prognosis, provided that they are able to take their medications with adherence. The medications work very well, the key thing is just to take the medications. His viral load should reach undetectable levels within 3-6 months (or greater than 95% reduction in the first month) and his CD4 count are expected to increase between 100 and 200 cells in the next year.

Because patients with low CD4s largely respond to treatment like their higher CD4 cousins, you can spend some time surfing TheBody for other's tales of responses to treatment.

I hope this helps. Best of health to your nephew. BY

Spouse's lymph mass?
just found out HIV+ and pregnant