Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

T-cell count and aids
Aug 16, 2006

My nepheu who is 30 is in the hospital in Coral Springs Fla. He just found out he has aids. His T-cell count is only 16 and virul is 1,000 He was in for PCP very bad but has now recovered. He is on meds and off the oxygen for now. I would like to know what the next stage is and what to expect in the near futur. I did not read any forum with such a low count. A very caring Aunt in Canada.

Response from Dr. Young

Dear Canadian Aunt-

Thanks for your post; I just returned from your great country the other day.

Sorry to hear about your nephew. Sounds like he's taken the first steps to improving his health. Since he's over the pneumonia (PCP) and started on treatment for HIV, I'd expect his health to improve in real terms.

Patients with very low CD4 counts actually have excellent prognosis, provided that they are able to take their medications with adherence. The medications work very well, the key thing is just to take the medications. His viral load should reach undetectable levels within 3-6 months (or greater than 95% reduction in the first month) and his CD4 count are expected to increase between 100 and 200 cells in the next year.

Because patients with low CD4s largely respond to treatment like their higher CD4 cousins, you can spend some time surfing TheBody for other's tales of responses to treatment.

I hope this helps. Best of health to your nephew. BY

Previous
Spouse's lymph mass?
Next
just found out HIV+ and pregnant

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.