Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

NEWLY DIAGNOSED
Aug 16, 2006

Hello,

My lover was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia. He also tested positive. He just found out he is positive and he was never sick until now.Today, I just found out that his CD4 count is 68. I think this is very low.We are very concern that he might not recover and die. I found a doctor that I think is an expert and I will be consulting him next week. Can a CD4 count go up or is it just going to come down? He is starting to feel better, still weak but his strength is coming back.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

I'm always saddened and sorry to hear about new cases, especially when diagnosed with complications, like your lover.

Know that while things are very serious, that modern treatment for HIV have restored health and life for many thousands of people. With his low CD4 count, he'll need to be starting on antiretroviral medications in the very near future, if not already. CD4 counts can and do improve, often as much as 200 cells in the first year of treatment.

Best of luck and health to both of you. BY

Previous
fuzeon- what next
Next
Spouse's lymph mass?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.