Time for taking Sustiva and other meds

Regarding the answer of Dr. Pieronr on 13/4/06 in the question of "Timing of meds", this really confused me. In Thailand we understand that all the meds should be taken on time(every 12 hours) and should not be miss for even a minute(If possible) to avoid any possibility of drug resistance. This information is normally given by the HIV doctors to many Thai HIV+ persons. I wonder if there is any particular reason that the delay in taking meds will not lead us to have drug resistance, or we have been misinformed by Thai HIV doctors. I just want to understand it right as it is much easier if we can take meds +/- 2 or 3 hours for some meds. Thanks doctors.

Thanks for your post from Thailand.

Like Dr. Pierone, I don't believe that there's any harm in taking medicines a few hours off from the target time. While striving for getting the dose right on the clock (to the minute) isn't a bad idea, too often patients feel like they've failed their adherence if circumstances require a little flexibility.

So, yes, a small delay (or early) dose of medication won't result in treatment failure or drug resistance.

I hope this is of value to you. BY

CD4 and V.L.
X-men