Am I At A Disadvantage When I Start Meds?

I was diagnosed with HIV a year ago and had a CD4 count of 420 and a VL of 20,000. A few months ago I had syphilis which progressed to the secondary stage before it was treated. This caused my CD4 count to drop to 200.

I was very concerned by this but the doctors told me they expected my CD4 count to rise now the syphilis had been treated, and they weren't going to start me on meds. Over the past couple of months my subsequent tests have shown CD4s of 211 and 180, although my VL is still around 20,000.

I'm taking Septrin but still haven't been put on meds. They still seem to be waiting to see if my CD4 increases. I was quite horrified to see that this now means I technically have AIDS, since I had always associated AIDS as being the stage just before you die, to be frank.

What is deeply concerning me is that I am now at a disadvantage compared to people who had started treatment around the 300 mark. Does starting treatment below the 200 mark, when I technically have AIDS make it harder work for me to recover, and will it affect my long term prognosis compared to if I started on the meds earlier?

Thanks for your post.

While there are some disadvantages to starting medications for HIV later in the game, the response rates to treatment are actually quite similar among those with normal CD4s and those starting with counts as low as 50.

There might be some modest increases in your risk of developing side effects, but at a CD4 of 200, you're definitely not in the worse of categories.

Best of luck, BY

lymph node swelling
20 years hiv