New class coming soon.

Having been recently diagnosed and on HIV meds for the last 3 months (and doing great with Truvada/Lexiva/Norvir, btw), I was told that there is supposed to be a new drug class coming out in 2007. Do you know anything about this and when it is scheduled to be available?

Thanks for your post and for sharing your experiences.

There are two new drug classes on the near-term horizon.

The first is the CCR5 co-receptor inhibitors-- the one closest to approval is maraviroc (produced by Pfizer). This group of medications prevents HIV entry into the cell and blocks a human protein that's required for the HIV life cycle. Expanded access might be availabe by late 2006.

The second group (further back in development) are the HIV integrase inhibitors. There are two compounds in various stages of human study development, being developed by Merck and Gilead. I wouldn't expect an expanded access program for these for at least 6-12 months.

Thanks for reading. BY

OMG I think its time for meds.
lymph node swelling