OMG I think its time for meds.

Hi doctors. Thank you for dedicating your time to ansewring many questions. I would like to say that I think that Dr. Francino is awsome !! Anyways back to the topic . Dr. I am a 24 year old gay male . I was diagnosed with HIV one year ago . When I first had my labs donr my T-cell count was 265 , Then 3 months later it was 450 with out medications. Dr. this last time my t-cell count was 187 . I am so scared to go on medications. I have heard nothing but horror stories about going on meds. I feel great and look great ( vein am I ...lol ) I was thinking of asking my doctor to give me 3 more months to see if I can raise my t-cell count . Do you thing this is a wise idea? Doctor I am very scared .I am scared of all side effects people talk about . Can you please shine some light on me . Thank you .

OMG, thanks for your post.

I think it's time again for our readers to post the good stories about their experiences with HAART, rather than just fill our pages with the "horror stories" that you're familiar with.

If the horror stories worry you, I'd balance them with the very real horror of AIDS complications, like life-threatening pneumonias, cancers, blindness, wasting disease and lipodystrophy-- all things whose risk dramatically increases with time as CD4 counts stay below 200. Vanity is also affected here.

If you were my patient, I'd spend time to expose you to the positive experiences that many hundreds of my patients have had on treatment; their return to life, work and health.

Please readers, share with OMG your stories.

Best, BY

That old diarhrea question again!
New class coming soon.