When should be tested after PEP?

Hi there - I was recently travelling in Thailand and had to help a local fellow out who badly injured himself on his scooter. I ended up getting his blood all over my clothes on my face and in my mouth. A day later a friend warned me of the HIV problem in Thailand and advised me to go see a doctor. I did not know where to find the fellow (who only was not hurt THAT badly, just a few big scrapes). The doctor agreed and put me on PEP with Combivir at 30 hours after exposure. I am just about to finish the treatment and want to know when I can get tested . . . my wife and I are also REALLY hoping to start trying to get pregnant in 60 days. If I test negative at 60 days (90 days after exposure) . . . is it ok to stop using te condoms and to get on with life? Thanks and by the way this site is fantastic. It has helped me understand how doctors are not merely providers of life saving knowledge and skill, the information and advice you dispense gives people hope and helps them to live their lives knowing others are working to solve their medical problems - I hope my future son/daughter has an interest in your wonderful profession. Thanks much!

Thanks for your post and nice words about TheBody. We're very fortunate here to be able to reach and help people all over the world-- it's a great job.

I typically recommend getting HIV antibody testing at 1,3 and 6 months after PEP.

Best of luck, BY

Starting meds today!
Newly tested HIV +