CD4 Count Dropping

When I was diagnosed with HIV in October 2004, my CD4 count was 131. I was immediately put on a combo of Sustiva, Viread and Epivir. Over the course of the year, my VL became undetectable and my CD4 count went up to 500. Now, ever since January, my CD4 count has dropped from 480-420-315. However, my VL is still undetectable. I am scared that the drop will continue. My doctor is not concerned, but she is not the one with HIV. Is this unusual? And what should I do if the drop continues? My percentage also remains unchanged in the 20-24% range.

Thanks for your post.

I'm with your doctor on this, in general terms. If your viral load is undetectable and your CD4% is "stable", then I'd sit tight. A changed from 480 to 315 might seem like a lot, but it's actually within the variability of the test.

It would be worthwhile making sure that there's no indication of bone marrow problems, like low WBC count or anemia, just to be sure, since these can be one of the reasons why you can see a decline in total CD4 without a change in percentage.

I hope this helps. BY

Herpes Zoster and HIV
weight loss