Nevirapine

Hi

I started taking combivir and neviripine November last year my cd 4 count was 270 and viral load 600000, in July my digits were cd4 536 and viral load undetectable, I am starting treatment to have iui next week, my question is if I were to get pregnant will my medication harm the baby? And I have read somewhere that neviripine is not recommended to people with high cd 4 count should I switch now?

Thank you for a great site Honey

Honey, Thanks for your post and comments.

From what you've described, you've had an excellent response to your current treatment. There's no need to switch out the nevirapine, since the risk of toxicity is largely restricted to the first weeks of treatment. It's only then that the pateints with higher CD4 counts are at greater risk of liver injury. Since it's been many months since, it's highly unlikely that you'll have problems or need to switch, even with your new and improved CD4 count.

The combination of AZT/3TC (Combivir) with nevirapine (Viramune) is actually used freqently to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV (pMTCT). Recent studies suggest that most HIV medications (with the exception of efavirenz) are actually quite safe to use in pregnancy and don't appear to harm the baby.

Best of luck and health. BY

Baseline Results
Can Atripla be taken in the morning