Seroconversion

I went without HIV testing for about 8 years....(head in the sand.) I last had unprotected sex in December, 2006; in February, 2006, I showed MAC in a colonoscopy; shortly thereafter I had a horrendous flu, and then I tested positive for HIV. What I've always wondered is whether this flu was indicative of my seroconversion, or whether it was unrelated. My gut is that I seroconverted long ago, but it was such a violent flu that I wondered if it could possibly have been a delayed reaction to the unprotected sex in December. The February positive test showed VL 48,000, CD4 172, which led my doctor to think that it was NOT a recent infection. (BTW, I started meds, am undetectable with CD4s 295.)

Thanks for your information, and your wonderful work.

Thanks for your post and comments.

We're not in the business of trying to accurately estimate the time of one's seroconversion.

But, based on what you've described, I'd find it very, very unlikely that you wen from serconversion in December (2005) to a CD4 count of 172 in 3 months (Februrary 06).

It seems much more plausible to me that you were infected sometime between Dec 05 and the previous 8 years of "head in the sand", as you describe it.

All that aside, it is good to hear that you've found a doctor, started medications and have had a very nice response, with undetectable viral load and increasing CD4 count. Keep us informed of your progress.

Best of health, BY

Help for pregnant daughter with AIDS
starting a therapy