Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Seroconversion
Aug 14, 2006

I went without HIV testing for about 8 years....(head in the sand.) I last had unprotected sex in December, 2006; in February, 2006, I showed MAC in a colonoscopy; shortly thereafter I had a horrendous flu, and then I tested positive for HIV. What I've always wondered is whether this flu was indicative of my seroconversion, or whether it was unrelated. My gut is that I seroconverted long ago, but it was such a violent flu that I wondered if it could possibly have been a delayed reaction to the unprotected sex in December. The February positive test showed VL 48,000, CD4 172, which led my doctor to think that it was NOT a recent infection. (BTW, I started meds, am undetectable with CD4s 295.)

Thanks for your information, and your wonderful work.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post and comments.

We're not in the business of trying to accurately estimate the time of one's seroconversion.

But, based on what you've described, I'd find it very, very unlikely that you wen from serconversion in December (2005) to a CD4 count of 172 in 3 months (Februrary 06).

It seems much more plausible to me that you were infected sometime between Dec 05 and the previous 8 years of "head in the sand", as you describe it.

All that aside, it is good to hear that you've found a doctor, started medications and have had a very nice response, with undetectable viral load and increasing CD4 count. Keep us informed of your progress.

Best of health, BY

Previous
Help for pregnant daughter with AIDS
Next
starting a therapy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.