PML virus support

I have just found my brother afetr losing contact with him for 13yrs to find that he has PML and cannot speak or walk. The dostors say that there are ischemic brain changes on MRI. Although he cannot communitcate I am positive that he recognises me as he smiled and held my hand and would only eat with me. Since I have returned home he has stopped eating and has had a peg tube placed. I am cofused as the doctors seem to be treating him and have even order a psych referral for his depression and say that he could respond to his meds yet everything I read about PML seems to give a prognosis of about 6 months. Are there any support groups out there and is there a chance of making some recovery.

Thank you for your post.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

Certainly, without access to HIV medications and experienced HIV healthcare, your brother's prognosis is very poor, consistent with the 6 month survival number that you've heard about.

On the other hand, there's plenty of reason for hope. Many patients with PML have gone on to make very amazing recoveries. Here's one story that is representative of a good outcome.

I'm not personally sure about PML support groups, but will post this in the hopes that our readers may be able to provide a link.

Best of luck to you and your brother. BY

undetectable but no cd4 improvements
Please help!