IS a change in meds advisalble now?

I currently take Norvir, Reytaz, anbd Truvada for 1year. Once i started treatment my viral load went to undetectable. My most recent lab one month ago showed a viral load of 3680. My doctor said we should wait two weeks and test again. My new labs show a viral load of 128. My percentage cd4 is steady at about 20-21%. Does this mean i am developing a resistance already?? Do i need to a) change my regimen to get to undectable immediately? b) just watch my numbers over the the next 3-12 months and see what happends? e.g. if there is another uptick change the meds if so how often should i get my blood work done? c) if i am not undectable soon change the the cocktail? d) dont worry i am fine even if not undectable just keep getting blood work on normal schedule of every 3 months and only change if there is a continous uptick in viral load?

Hello and thanks for posting.

The first question that arises is whether this viral breakthrough that you had a month ago occurred in the context of missed doses or not. If so, then that is explanation enough to account for the jump in viral levels. But even if there is no ready explanation for the jump up in viral load, the fact that it came back down indicates that no regimen changes need to happen yet. In the unlikely event that the virus is developing resistance, then the viral load would go back up and a resistance test would need to be done. Based on this result a new regimen could then be selected. But at this point the situation simply needs to be monitored. Best of luck and let us know how things turn out.

patented query
new gene therapy pipeline