patented query

I'm responding to your answer to the question about HIV drug patents. My boyfriend takes Combivir and has to pay a very high copay with his insurance because it is a name brand drug. Now that AZT is generic would it be just as safe, and possibly cheaper, if his doctor prescribed the AZT and 3TC as two separate drugs? Thereby only paying the lower copay on the AZT. Thanks for the great job you do on this website. It's appreciated more than you can know.

Thanks for your post.

Medically speaking, the only difference between the two options would be the pill number. There would be two prescriptions for the uncoupled combination of AZT and 3TC with two copayments. Sometimes (depends on your insurance plan), the copayment for the generic would be low enough and the copayment for Combivir high enough to support the switch.

I'd check into the prices before switching.

Good luck to both of you. BY

How long do I have till I take meds?
IS a change in meds advisalble now?