What the hell do I choose.

Recommended by Dr to start treatment, VL >100,000 and CD4 230 18%. Have developed some KS, no HEP B or C and no other complications apparently. I have been given treatment choices including Truvada, Norvir and Reyataz. Apparently I cannot take Sustiva. Is this a good/the best treatment choice available and will it cause thinning face,legs etc. If not can you suggest another option I can go to my Dr with. Thanks

Thanks for your post.

Sounds like your doctor has done his homework; you probably have (unfortunately) acquired non-nuke resistant virus. As such, efavirenz (Sustiva, Stocrin) is not one of your options.

The combination of tenofovir/FTC (Truvada) with ritonavir (Norvir) and atazanavir (Reyataz) is a widely prescribed option for first line treatment. There should be little additive risk of lipodystrophy or metabolic problems on the regimen, but be aware that not every case of lipo is fully attributed to drug treatment alone (with some exceptions). The particular issues with atazanavir regimens is the strict need to take the medication with food and to avoid the use of antacids. If these characteristics are problematic for your or might interfere with your optimal adherence, I'd talk to your doctor (or write back) about alternatives.

Best of health to you. BY

Follow up to response : SEROCONVERSION AFTER 13 YEARS??
Is the ID doctor my primary practioner?